One of the primary concerns for many new Wellness Coaches is how to get more clients. While there are a number of effective ways to attract more clients, a Discovery Session can be a great start. So what is a Discovery Session?
A Discovery Session is a session where you offer a potential client the opportunity to discover what their current challenges are and explore whether and how you can support them in solving those challenges.
However, Discovery Sessions are not the same as free consultations. Free consultations simply imply that you will be giving out a lot of free advice. During a free consultation, you end up doing most of the talking and advice-giving. This may be attractive to a potential client, but it doesn’t help you understand the client’s needs.
A Discovery Session is different. In a Discovery Session, your role is to listen and to ask questions. Your potential clients play an active role during these sessions, and your goal is to discover from your potential clients where they are struggling and what they want to see happen next.
As a Health and Wellness Coach, a Discovery Session is particularly effective for you because it helps you understand what your potential clients’ current challenges are, what they may have tried that isn’t working, as well as what goals they want to achieve in order to make a change. In these sessions, you’ll learn about what holds potential clients back, which helps you discover how you can help them make lasting, positive change.
Unsure how to get clients? The more people you have coming in for Discovery Sessions, the more potential clients you’ll have. The IAWP teaches a proven Discovery Session method to help you lead each session with confidence and more easily enroll new clients if they are a good match with your coaching program. e. Even better, each Discovery Session you guide will provide you with more opportunities to practice your listening and coaching skills. The better you become at conducting Discovery Sessions, the higher your odds for signing up new clients. So how do you attract more clients for Discovery Sessions?
Let’s go over a few key things you need to know about Discovery Sessions, so you can get started right away.
1. Name your Discovery Session. Don’t invite people to something called a “Discovery Session” or a “Free Consultation.” It’s unclear what you’re offering and what the goal of the session will be. Rather, invite potential clients to a specifically named session that tells them what the focus of the session will be and how it could help them solve their problem. The names of the sessions you offer should be in alignment with your niche and they should give insight into the solution you provide.
Here are a few examples to help get you started:
- “Lose Weight without Dieting” Session
- “Get Thin Fast” Session
- “Lasting Love Relationship” Session
A big mistake Wellness Coaches make is selling their “coaching” or their “sessions” to potential clients. Keep in mind that people don’t buy coaching. People buy solutions and results for their big problem, so if you’re searching for ways to get more clients, make sure your Discovery Session invites focus on a solution.
2. Share your invitation. The second step is that you must invite people to the Discovery Session. If you don’t let people know that your unique session exists, they won’t be able to sign up for what they need.
There are several great ways to invite people to experience a Discovery Session with you. Here are a few examples:
- Invite your family or friends
- Invite social media contacts
- Send an email to your network inviting them to a session
- Ask people for referrals
- Add an intake form to your website and invite those who fill it out to your session
- Create a Discovery Session button or link on your website
- Offer a Discovery Workshop to a group
3. The third step is to follow my Discovery Session secrets. Know exactly what to say and do to support your potential clients and encourage them to sign up with you provided it’s a good match for both of you. This includes asking the right questions and really listening. In fact, there are 6 steps to help you sign up new clients with ease through discovery sessions that I share here.
You have the information you need to know how to get more clients. Now it’s your turn to take action!
The IAWP is committed to supporting Wellness Coaches to create success and share the message of wellness across the globe. If you’re passionate about holistic health and wellness, inspiring others to be healthy and creating a career you love, then learn more by downloading our gift to you – The Wellness Coach Career Kit.
The information contained in or made available through our sites (including but not limited to information contained in blogs, articles, pages, videos, comments, on coaching calls, events, seminars or in emails) cannot replace or substitute for the services of trained professionals in any field, including, but not limited to, financial, psychological, medical, health or legal matters. Information on our site or provided by our coaches is not intended to diagnose or treat disease/illness and we do not prescribe medication. Visitors to this site as well as clients of IAWP Wellness Coaches should not construe this information as personal health or medical advice and should always consult your doctor or medical professional regarding your specific health concerns. Read more on our Terms here.